Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This architectural shell cupboard flanked the parlor fireplace in the Elijah Williams house when it was built in Deerfield, Massachusetts, in 1760. This house was moved in 1877 to make room for the new Dickinson High School and Deerfield Academy. The cupboard was purchased in 1879 for $10.00 by the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association. The upper portion of this pine cupboard, with its carved scallop shell, fluted pilasters, and curvilinear shelves, was intended for display of treasured possessions, probably ceramics and glass. The lower section is designed for storage and is closed with two paneled doors attached with foliated hinges. The hinges were probably made by Deerfield blacksmith John Partridge Bull. The red paint has been renewed, but the interior retains an old brown color and the edges of the shelves are painted green.
top of page