Send an E-Postcard of:
Town Hall, Montague, Mass
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The first town hall of Montague, Massachusetts, was a two-and-a-half story frame building built in 1837 and located on the east side of Main Street in Montague Center. Prior to that town business was conducted, like many New England towns, out of the Congregational meeting house. The 1837 town hall was replaced in 1858 by the tall brick building to the right of this picture. Its original cost was $7,000, a substantial outlay for a relatively small village. That structure housed not only town offices but the public library. Upstairs, a large hall held assemblies. A small office contained all the town government. In 1926, almost all the town functions were transferred to buildings in Turners Falls, on the northern edge of Montague town, where they remain today.
top of page