Send an E-Postcard of:
Common, South Deerfield, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This picture was taken from the southern edge of South Deerfield's "common," a triangular-shaped patch of land formed by the intersection of Main Street, which extends north and south, and Sugarloaf Street, to the right. In the center, a trolley of the Greenfield and Deerfield Street Railway Company heads north, toward Old Deerfield. The use of the word "common" to describe this patch of land indicates an effort among villagers to beautify their lands, a movement that began in New England in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, in 1853. By the 1880s, nearly every town had a village improvement society, and they worked to plant trees and create park-like atmospheres. Sometime after 1910, near the north end of the park the town erected a fountain, another part of this movement.
top of page