Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
In 1801 the "Social Library of Sunderland" organization was formed. Those wishing to borrow books would pay a small fee, a practice that was abandoned in 1878. For the next 97 years the library was housed in a wide range of locations, from member's homes to the general store. By 1896 the ever-expanding library had moved to the Old Town Hall, but it became clear that a new, permanent building was needed. In 1898, John L. Graves, a former Sunderland resident, agreed to pay for a new library. Two years later it was built.
<BR>Note: The Allen Brothers of Amherst designed the library. It is in the asymmetrical Tudor Revival style that was popular in Western Massachusetts at the turn of the century.
top of page