Send an E-Postcard of:
"Rivermen Reach Turners Falls"
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The log drive down the Connecticut was an annual ritual from the 1890s until about 1920. This drive brought spruce logs harvested in the far northwest portion of New Hampshire, at the series of lakes named Lake One through Four. The Turners Falls Lumber Company cut around nine million feet of lumber in 1895, only a fraction of the fifty to sixty million feet then being run past the mill, as this article notes, in 1900. By 1909, drives of around thirty-five million feet will be common, part of an overall declining trend.
top of page