Send an E-Postcard of:
"The News From Home"- the Greenfield Guards
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The Greenfield Guards were a militia unit based in Greenfield, Massachusetts, officially designated Company G of the 10th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia Regiment. They were a volunteer unit that had long awaited service. When the war came they were ready to serve but the call for service did not come until June, 1861. Between April and June they were given uniforms through a grant from a leading citizen of Greenfield, Henry Clapp. Prior to that, they had drilled in civilian clothes. The new uniforms were gray in color rather than blue. In the early months of the war, there was a great deal of confusion as to uniforms, and units often fought in all varieties and colors of uniform. When the unit was sent to Washington, DC, as a part of the Army of the Potomac, they were issued the regulation blue uniforms and their gray uniforms were put into storage. These uniforms were later captured by Confederates under the command of Gen. Jubal Early in 1864. The Guards served for three years and fought in most of the battles of the Army of the Potomac. By the time they returned to Greenfield they had lost around fifteen percent of their number.
top of page