Send an E-Postcard of:
Conway Road House
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
John Kislowski owned this home on Conway Road in the hamlet of Mill River by 1912. He had emigrated from the Polish lands of Russia in 1903 at the age of nineteen and by 1910 was living in Mill River in the house of Joe Scovicz, another émigré from Poland and was employed as an onion farmer. By 1912 he had purchased this home in Mill River along with 22 acres of farmland and 50 acres of pastureland. By then he owned two horses and six cows.
<BR>This photograph comes from the Howes Brothers collection of photographs. The Howes Brothers, based in Ashfield, Massachusetts, made more than 20,000 images of New England rural life from 1890 to around 1910, offering a glimpse into the lives of people rarely visible in history.
top of page