Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The Oxford Pickle Company was the oldest continuously operating business in Deerfield, Massachusetts. Alvord Jewett (1871-1951) opened the pickle factory in South Deerfield in 1896. It remained in the family until the early 1950s when it was purchased by the John E. Cain Company of Cambridge, Massachusetts. The plant changed hands several times, most recently purchased by an investor's group which included local farmers. The plant was later closed. This photograph shows some of the hundreds of pickle tanks that could store nearly 25 million pounds of stock.
top of page