Send an E-Postcard of:
Streetscape - Athol Center
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This view of Main Street in Athol, Massachusetts, shows that the street was not paved at the turn of the 20th century. Athol was called Pequoiag when colonists settled there in 1735. It is situated on the Millers River in northern Worcester County. When it was incorporated in 1762, John Murray, a prominent landowner, named it Athol after his homeland in Scotland. Athol is known as "Tool Town" primarily because the L. S. Starrett Company, which produces precision tools, gages, measuring instruments and saw blades, and is a prominent employer.
top of page