Send an E-Postcard of:
Easthampton (and Northampton)
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Easthampton was typical of many towns incorporated in western Massachusetts just after the American Revolution. Originally part of Northampton, Easthampton became a district in 1785 and a full-fledged town in 1809. The southern section of the town was dominated by a small mountain range while the northern part was composed of small farms and mills. In the mid-19th century Easthampton saw a good deal of industrial development, much of it financed and organized by Samuel Williston. Williston pioneered the manufacture of products, like braces that utilized the new rubber-making process invented by Charles Goodyear. Williston also founded a local bank and the Williston seminary, the forerunner to today's Williston Northampton School (a private coeducational college preparatory school).
top of page