Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Williamsburg, Massachusetts was incorporated as a town in 1775. Williamsburg, Massachusetts, was once home to many factories, including a silk mill, a brass works and the first ivory button shop in the country. The town has two villages, Haydenville and Williamsburg. This map was published in 1873 and shows the town as it was before the tragic flood of 1874. When the Mill River flood occurred on May 16, 1874, it was the deadliest dam failure in the U.S. A total of 139 persons died, and the valley lined with factories, farms, and homes was devastated.
top of page