Send an E-Postcard of:
Main Street, Bernardston, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
These buildings on Main Street in Bernardston, Massachusetts still exist and contribute to the rural character of the town. Bernardston was settled by soldiers who fought in the skirmish with Native Americans in 1676 at present day Turners Falls. At that time, the settlement was named Falls Fight Town. A land grant establishing the town was made by the state legislature in 1734. The town was named after Sir Francis Bernard, who served as the Royal Governor of Massachusetts from 1760 to 1769.
top of page