Send an E-Postcard of:
Russell House, Russell, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The town of Russell, Massachusetts, was originally part of Westfield. It was incorporated into a town in 1792. The railroad came through the Berkshires in 1841, and that changed the town in a visable way. The railroad gave industries access to the tremendous waterpower of the Westfield River. As a result of the location of three different paper mills, the town developed into three distinct villages, Woronoco, Russell Village, and Crescent Mills. The mills provided employment for a large number of people and made the town prosperous. Hotels like this one provided lodging for tourists that came because of the railroad.
top of page