Send an E-Postcard of:
Wales St, Wales, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Wales, Massachusetts, was originally known as South Brimfield and was incorporated in 1775. The name was changed to Wales in 1828 in honor of James Lawrence Wales, a local benefactor. In the 19th century, the manufacturing of woolen cloth became an important industry. The mills drew immigrants from Ireland as well as French Canadians, which increased the town's population. This picture of the main street in town shows it to have a very rural character.
top of page