Send an E-Postcard of:
Fisher's Garage Mechanics
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Fisher's Garage was founded by George Fisher in 1912. Its first facility, located near the center of South Deerfield, Massachusetts, burned down in 1935. This picture was taken in the rebuilt facility: Frank Moro, second from left, was hired in 1937 and took over the firm in 1950. George Fisher, the founder, died in 1929, and the firm was taken over by his son, Clarence (second from right), who died in 1950. Fisher's Garage sold Ford cars. That had been a fortunate choice: of the hundreds of automobile companies that were in operation in 1912, only several score still survived by the late 1920s. The Great Depression of 1929-1940 would kill many more; by 1940, a mere handful still lived, and most of America's automobile manufacturing would be concentrated in the hands of the Big Three: Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors.
top of page