Send an E-Postcard of:
Franklin County Public Hospital
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Greenfield, Massachusetts' first public hospital had been located in a converted private home, but the shortcomings of its architecture and layout led to the construction of this building in 1910. Located on High Street, it operated a training school for nurses for more than fifty years. In 1925 a fund drive raised money for a north wing and Nurses' Home, completed in 1927. By the end of the Great Depression in 1940, the facility was once again strained for room, but the Second World War delayed expansion until 1953, when a new wing was completed that brought the total capacity to 150 beds. In 1963, the nurses training facility was transferred to Greenfield Community College. The hospital is now the Franklin County Medical Center.
top of page