Send an E-Postcard of:
Table Rock, Mt. Sugarloaf
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Mt. Sugarloaf rises above the Connecticut River in the southeast corner of Deerfield (Massachusetts) town, near the towns of Sunderland and Whatley. It had long been appreciated for its remarkable view of the fertile valley below. The rise of tourism in the 1820s and the construction of overlooks on nearby Mt. Tom and Mt. Holyoke meant that Sugarloaf would eventually undergo the same modifications. In 1864, a mountain house, or hotel, was built on the summit by Dwight Jewett, the owner of the land. Over the next fifty years the hotel's fortunes waxed and waned. In the process, a number of features were built on the mountain, including a graded road, trails, and this overlook. Its name, "Table Rock," is reminiscent of Niagara Falls' most famous viewing point, a rock on the Canadian side that was widely celebrated until its collapse in the mid-1850s.
top of page