Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The Bars Section of Deerfield, Massachusetts, was attacked during King Georges War on August 25, 1746 by a group of French, Abenakis and Kanien'kehaka (Mohawk) from Kahnawake, a reserve in Quebec, Canada. This prisoner halter was found after the attack and would have been tied around a prisoner's neck, with a person holding each end of the line to keep him in line. Notice the woven pattern of three groups of three people in white, brown, orange and blue. This artifact was donated to the Deerfield Academy Museum around 1800 by Dorothy (Williams) Ashley. Ashley (1713-1808) lived in Deerfield in 1746 and was the wife of the Reverend Jonathan Ashley, Deerfield's minister from 1732-1780.
top of page