Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This fragile glass dish is free-blown with a pontil mark at the bottom. Not an everyday item, but perhaps a family heirloom, it was brought to Shelburne, MA after 1838 by Lucy Carter. It was made at the Franklin Glass Factory in Warwick, Massachusetts between 1812 and 1816.When the War of 1812 halted the importation of glass from England, small-scale factories sprung up across New England to meet the demand.
<BR>The Franklin Glass Factory was one of four glass manufactures which sprung up in the Connecticut River Valley as a result of the War 1812. Founded by Dr. Ebenezer Hall and a collection of Warwick's wealthiest residents it manufactured both window glass and hollowware (bottles, jars, vases, vials, and bowls). It survived only until 1816.
top of page