FOR FOURTH JULY---1826.
1.THEE, we approach, Almighty King,
To thee our voices raise;
Homage we bring, glory we sing,
Great God, accept our praise.
2. Freedom and strength, and wealth and fame,
Our youthful States enjoy;
Thanks to thy name, Father supreme,
Let all our tongues employ.
3. Thou art our God, our earliest friend,
Our father’s guard and guide;
Still condescend, time without end,
Among their sons t’abide.
4. Long may we guard each sacred right
For which our fathers bled;
Long as the light gleams on our sight,
The paths of freedom tread.
5. O, may we fight the fight of faith,
O’ercome in virtue’s field;
Fir’d by thy breath, fearless of death,
Our arms we’ll never yield.
6. Then shall we break the cruel chains
Of Afric’s suffering race:
Spurning our gains, feel for their pains,
And sooth their deep distress.
7. Widely display thy power abroad,
And make oppression cease;
Break, mighty God, tyranny’s rod,
And hush the world to peace.