The blade of this knife identifies it as having been made at the John Russell Company's Green River Works. The company's Green River factory operated from 1832 until 1868 when it moved to an expensive new plant on the Connecticut River at the new town of Turners Falls. The Green River plant employed more than 400 employees at the time of its move. The knife itself is a typical steel table knife. Its handle was made of bone, a very common material of the time.