Deerfield May 19. 1815. Be it remembered that
the division of the fence between the pastures
of Jona Arms & Capt. Saml Wells on or near
Abijah's brook (so called) was this day agreed
upon by sd Arms & Wells as follows viz.
beginning at the west end, at Martin's hill, sd
Wells owns & is to support two rods; from thence eastward
sd Arms owns & is to support about sixty four
& an half Rods to a black or yellow oak tree
that now stands on the line between the two
lots; from thence eastward sd Wells owns &
is to support about sixty two & an half rods
on to the side of the mountain above sd
Wells' orchard thus we agree
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
On May 19, 1815, an agreement of pasture boundaries was drawn up and agreed upon by Jonathan Arms (1735-1819) and Samuel Wells (1772-1816), farmers in Deerfield, Massachusetts. Judging by the reference point of 'Abijah's brook,' the land in question was in the meadows south of the village of Deerfield. The text reveals, also, that Mr. Wells's orchard was at the foot of the mountain, probably Mt. Pocumtuck; orchards were often planted on higher ground for better results.