(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Frederick W. Beers (1839-1933), a cartographer, was hired by towns in Massachusetts to create maps of the various towns. Incorporated in 1768 and named for the English Lord Shelbun, the town of Shelburne, Massachusetts, on the Deerfield River was settled largely by the descendants of Deerfield settlers who needed land for farming and was originally referred to as Deerfield Northwest or Deerfield Reserve. The land was cultivated largely for orchards and for raising sheep. The Beers map locates the villages and rivers within the town, and names many of the major retail and manufacturing establishments present in the second half of the 19th century.