(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
The Gothic Revival style Skinner Gymnasium was a gift of William Skinner of Holyoke, the patriarch of a tremendously successful silk industry. Opened in 1895 the facility was 100' by 50' and had a running track suspended from the roof, creating a gallery around the hall. It was filled with the latest gymnastics equipment. The lower floor contained a bowling alley, swimming tank, dressing room, locks and baths. The Young Women's Christian Association used a portion of the Gymnasium.