(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
There is currently no available "Beginner" label. The following is the default level label: In 1866 the Northampton and Williamsburg Street Railway opened for business. Two horses pulled the cars, with a third added for steep hills. The cars would run every forty minutes. By 1893 the Northampton Street Railway had replaced the horsecars with electric trolleys. A ride cost 5 cents round trip, or 2 1/2 cents one-way, and travelers could take the trolley to work or for pleasure. Trolley lines belonging to one town often connected with those in another, to make traveling greater distances possible.