(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Orange, Massachusetts, was a thriving manufacturing town by 1908, but like most Western Massachusetts towns of that era, one not yet dominated by the automobile. At the time, most of its streets were not paved. This view was taken looking south from in front of the town hall (the "Town House"). To the left stands C.N. Harlow's store, and another further on. In the distance rises the steeple of the Congregational Church. The "square" (the central intersection) was the heart of the town; just beyond to the right lay the railroad and the Millers River, which gave the town the water power used by the town's many factories.