(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
In the early 18th century Israel Hubbard settled on a piece of property at Plumtrees in Sunderland. He built the structure pictured in 1763 and was fully licensed as a taverner and innholder and to sell "strong drink." It was the second tavern in town. On April 19, 1775 sixty minutemen from Sunderland and its neighboring towns gathered at the Hubbard Tavern, stayed overnight, and marched the following day toward Lexington. In 1801 the Pacific Lodge of Masons organized in this tavern, which was still owned by the Hubbard Family.