(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This photograph of Turners Falls, Massachusetts, was made around 1900. The tall spire on the right is of St. Mary's Catholic Church, the first Catholic church built in Franklin County. The tall spire to the left is that of the French Catholic Church (St. Anne's), built by a congregation that split from St. Mary's in 1885. And the spire in the center of the picture is of the German Methodist church. These neatly represent the strong immigrant presence in the town. Turners Falls was a factory community built around the waterpower of the Connecticut River with an immigrant population drawn to the employment available there.