(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
By 1926, the town of Deerfield had been entirely supporting its high school for three years. The separation of the Deerfield High School and the Deerfield Academy, mandated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, had finally been completed in 1923, when the town's new high school was finished. The town's effort to provide a comprehensive school system, including public health efforts, is evident in the report. In the first decades of the 20th century there was an overall trend in extending the hand of the state to its weakest members. This is demonstrated here with the increased services this school system provided, including a visiting nurse and physical education. It was reasoned that when children suffered from health problems they were unable to adequately learn.