(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Ensign John Sheldon (1658-c.1733) built his two-story center-chimney four-room house just inside the stockade in Deerfield, Massachusetts, in 1699. It was one of the larger houses in town in that year. The house survived the 1704 Deerfield Raid carried out by French and Indians from Canada and was nearly 150 years old when this daguerreotype was made. The house was torn down in 1848.