(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
The Essex touring car was produced by the Hudson Motor Car Company in Detroit, Michigan, and was the simplest model in the Hudson line. It was named Essex for the town in England, which the Hudson officials felt had "snob appeal." The name "touring" meant the car was fitted with both a front and a back seat. In the1920s, the popular automobile appearance was moving toward a longer, lower look. Side curtains could be attached for bad weather. The Essex continued to be made until 1933 when Hudson renamed it "Terraplane."