(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
There is currently no available "Beginner" label. The following is the default level label: The first library in South Deerfield, Massachusetts, called the Village Library Association, was organized in 1871. In twelve years it became a town library, governed by a board of trustees. The library occupied several locations in South Deerfield until it found a permanent home. With money left to the town by a generous benefactor, and funds raised through the efforts of the South Deerfield Women's Club, construction began in 1915. On November 14, 1916, the Tilton Library was dedicated in memory of Chauncey B. Tilton whose estate had provided much of the funding for the building's construction, and the land on which it was erected.