(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Erected in 1838 to commemorate the September 18, 1675 "Bloody Brook" attack, this marble obelisk remembers the soldiers and Deerfield, Massachusetts, townsmen who were killed near what is now South Deerfield during King Philip's War (1675-1676). The town had been burned on September 12 by Metacom's (King Philip's) forces. On September 18, the men had returned to remove their grain to safety. The ambush occurred as they crossed over Muddy (Bloody) Brook with their wagons en route to the mill in Hadley.