(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
When, in 1926, the people of Deerfield, Massachusetts, needed to raise money for care of the new cemetery at Laurel Hill, the townspeople arranged to open 15 of the old houses to the public. More than 5000 visitors poured into town to see the houses and the 100-year-old brick meetinghouse. A fee was charged and $3700 was raised. This photograph shows lines of guests waiting to tour the 1760 "Frary House." This was the first time the old houses had been opened to the public and shows how the colonial revival once again got people interested in the colonial period.