icon for Home page
icon for Kid's Home page
icon for Digital Collection
icon for Activities
icon for Turns Exhibit
icon for In the Classroom
icon for Chronologies
icon for My Collection

Online Collection

(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.

label levels:

By the mid-1800s, many American towns and cities had installed gas pipelines to illuminate their streets and buildings. This gas plant in South Deerfield, Massachusetts, was located on Elm Street, near the Hotel Warren. On the evening of March 8, 1908, workers and the president of the company hurried to the gas house to investigate a reported malfunction. Tragically, the lighted lantern they carried ignited escaping gas as soon they opened the door to the gas house. All three men died in the resulting explosion. The adjacent building, which housed a pool parlor and a barber shop, as well as a private residence, sustained heavy damage. By the turn of the 20th century, electricity replaced gas as a light source in larger towns and cities. People in rural areas continued to depend on candles and kerosene to light their homes.


top of page

Gas house explosion

photographer   Forbes Kodak Man
date   1908
location   South Deerfield, Massachusetts
process/materials   paper print
item type   Photograph/Photograph - Postcard
accession #   #1997.08.01.0035

Look Closer icon My Collection icon Detailed info icon

ecard icon Send an e-Postcard of this object

See Also...

The Fire at the Hotel Warren

"Deerfield Centre/South Deerfield"

button for Side by Side Viewingbutton for Glossarybutton for Printing Helpbutton for How to Read Old Documents


Home | Online Collection | Things To Do | Turns Exhibit | Classroom | Chronologies | My Collection
About This Site | Site Index | Site Search | Feedback