(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
When the mid-19th century wooden schoolhouse in South Deerfield burned in the early 1880's, it was replaced with this larger brick building. The older school had 4 rooms; this new one had 8 classrooms to serve the needs of a growing town. Concern about fire led many towns in New England to use brick instead of wood for building their schoolhouses.