(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Lamson and Goodnow became involved in the knife business as a result of Silas Lamson's (1776-1855) invention of the curved scythe snath, or handle, and his subsequent decision to manufacture this improved product in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts in 1834. The success of the business caused the partners to add buildings and to recruit cutlery workers from England and Germany by 1851. During the Civil War, the company was one of the largest U.S. cutlery manufacturers, employing at times more than 500 workers. This scene gives a rural flavor to the industrialized factory and was probably used to recruit workers; note the fisherman near the lower right-hand corner.