(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Oliver Partridge (1712-1792) of Hatfield, Massachusetts, was visiting in West Stockbridge, in Berkshire County, where he owned land, in October of 1785. His concern for the health of a friend was written in a letter to another friend, William Stoddard Williams, a doctor. Dr. Williams had recently begun to practice medicine in Richmond after finishing his apprenticeship with Dr. Sergeant in West Stockbridge. The "Doctor S" referred to in the letter is probably Dr. Erastus Sergeant of that town.