(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This sale of land was written in 1712/13, but the courts did not record it until May 23, 1720. The paper gives one-half of 2 islands in the Connecticut River, near the mouth of the Deerfield River, to John Sheldon (1658-c.1733) from Reverend Williams (1664-1729) and his wife Abigail (Bissel) Williams (c.1673-1754). It is signed by John Williams with his seal. Abigail, however, cannot sign her name and instead makes her mark, an"a".