(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This photograph (stereograph) of Deerfield's Civil War monument was taken by the Greenfield photographer, H. J. Davis, about 1880. One of the first in New England, the town voted to "Erect a monument in honor of our fallen sons" before the surrender at Appomatox. The Deerfield Common was selected as a site on November 6, 1866, and J.G. Batterson of Hartford, Connecticut, was hired to build it. The monument, a stone obelisk surmounted by a Civil War soldier, was dedicated on September 4, 1867.