(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This aquamarine-colored glass jar was made at the Franklin Glass Factory in Warwick, Massachusetts between 1812 and 1816. When the War of 1812 halted the importation of glass from England, small-scale factories sprung up across New England to meet the demand. With the absence of mass-produced food sources, it was vitally important to store up food for the winter months. From the fruit grown locally (including apples, peaches, pears, and a variety of berries) New Englanders made enough preserves to fill their pantry shelves and their stomachs through the lean months.