(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Typical of a small-town New England hotel, Conway House had many owners over the years and changed its looks and size several times. This postcard shows a brick structure, while an image from forty years earlier showed clapboarded walls. Conway House was more than a stop for travelers or itinerant salesmen; it was also a town meeting place. In 1858 the Congregational Church held union prayers here for four weeks. During the latter part of the 19th century, the Morning Son Lodge of Masons met in the hotel rooms.