(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
George Washington Mark (1795-1879) was long a figure in Greenfield, Massachusetts, where he operated a paint store and made paintings for and of the local community. Mark's store was located at the rear of his home which had once been the old tavern standing on Mansion House Corner in the center of town. The structure had been moved some distance down Main Street in 1825. He sold paint, exhibited his paintings and also did house painting. For reasons that remain obscure, he was known as "Count" Mark.