(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
These three maps show the settled sections of Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1846. Springfield was founded in the 1630s by William Pynchon, a theologian, trader and land speculator. The sections north of the village that became Cabotville and Chicopee Falls were purchased from Native Americans in 1636 . In the mid 18th century these two villages were part of the "fifth parish" of Springfield. By the 1840s, as these maps show, they had become commercial and manufacturing centers. In 1848 the two villages merged, separated from Springfield and formed the town of Chicopee.