(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This view of the Mansion House in Greenfield, Massachusetts, was taken in 1860. As the coach at the side entrance suggests, the Mansion House was a stagecoach stop as well as a hotel. Stagecoaches connected passengers with stagecoach lines from various northeastern cities. The Mansion House was built in 1828 on the site of a tavern built about 1720. Later additions to the original structure expanded the building until it occupied the entire block to the east. Although the arrival of the railroads in the 1840s put many stagestop taverns out of business, the Mansion House's business was relatively secure because it was well-established and well-situated on a busy intersection across form the Greenfield Common. The Mansion House was demolished after it was destroyed by a fire in 1959.