FOCUS QUESTIONS FOR THIS EXCERPT:
1. Who are the customers?
2. How are they making payments to John Partridge Bull? Group those payments into types of payments made. What are the categories that you created to do so?
3. Can you identify the occupation of the second customer listed? What is that occupation? How do you know? How might the goods listed be used in his practice? In his home?
4. Do you think that John Partridge Bull gained enough material goods in payment to support his own household? Why or why not?
5. What type of payment is valued most highly by Bull? What type of payment is valued least highly by Bull? Why do you think that this is the case?
6. What are three types of services provided by Bull that are valued least highly?
7. Do you see any evidence that the Revolutionary War is anticipated by Deerfield residents from this account book page?