(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
This view of the Old Indian House in Deerfield, Massachusetts, (so-named because it withstood the 1704 Deerfield Raid) is in reverse and shows the Brick Church (1824) on the left instead of the right. The two-story center-chimney house of unpainted clapboards and small windows was one of the largest in town when it was built for John Sheldon in 1699. Sold to the Hoyt family in the 1730s, several generations of Hoyts lived in it and operated a tavern in one of the rooms. It was taken down in 1848 to be replaced by a more modern structure, which in turn, was torn down in 1960 to make way for a classroom building for Deerfield Academy.