(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
There is currently no available "Beginner" label. The following is the default level label: The Lamson & Goodnow Company was founded in 1844 in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts when Abel F. and Ebenezer Goodnow joined their cousins, brothers Ebenezer and Nathaniel Lampson, to make cutlery. By 1860, Lamson & Goodnow was the largest producer in the United States. This carving fork was part of a wedding present to Charlotte Wardner Lamson when she married Charles Hyde Warren in 1905. She was the grand-daughter of Ebenezer Lamson, one of the original partners. It has an elegant mother-of-pearl handle made from pearl oyster shells.
A carving fork is used to hold meat so that a carver can slice segments from it. The first known carving forks were used in Spain in the 15th century. In England, they became more common in the mid-17th century.