(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
THE MOUNT SUGAR LOAF SCHOOL
Attractive Building to Be Erected on
The accompanying cut shows the proposed Mt. Sugar Loaf school as it will appear
when completed. It is to stand on a lot on Conway street, which is admirably
located a short distance from Main street, yet retired from the noise and the
danger of the electric cards. Adjoining the lot on the west is a large playground
which should afford ample space for the various school sports for many years.
The building is to contain eight classrooms, accommodating 350 pupils. The
rooms are to be located at each corner of the building, with a public entrance
between the rooms on the front and a wide corridor between the front and rear
connecting the entrances on the east and west sides of the building. A teachers'
room and a room for the department are to be provided on the second floor of
The basement is to contain large light play rooms for the children, together
with the most modern sanitaries and the heating apparatus. The system of heating
and ventilating to be installed is what is known as a gravity system, combining
furnaces with a steam boiler, and is guaranteed to meet the requirements of
the state in all respects. The exterior is to be constructed of selected sand-struck
bricks, with cement stone trimmings and granite composite steps and grass course.
The building is to be equipped with slate blackboards, electric lights and the
most modern sanitary plumbing throughout.
The cost of the buildings, and land exclusive
of the playground on the west will be
$31,000. The building committee are
James Campbell, Otis Hager and Edward
A. Rice. The plans for the building were
drawn by Architect Clarence P. Hoyt of
Boston. Allen Bros of Amherst have the
contract for building and the work will
be begun in the near future. The heating
and plumbing will be in charge of Charles
Coates of Easthampton.
Contact us for information about using this image.
After a year of planning, the grammar school in South Deerfield was ready for construction, as detailed in this article from February, 1913. The school would be completed by December of that year, ready for the students to move into. Like the schools themselves, this new building reflected the changing character of schooling and the community in the early part of the 20th century. South Deerfield's growing population, its numbers swelled by the growth of agriculture and industry in the town, was filling its schools with new students. The school system itself was changing too, offering a more specialized education. One of the major developments in schools in this period was a major move away from the "single-room" system, where all children were taught in the same room, to one with separate rooms for each grade. This usually meant the consolidation of local elementary schools into larger, more centralized facilities such as this.
top of page
"South Deerfield- The Mount Sugar Loaf School"
| publisher Turners Falls Reporter
| publisher Hampshire Gazette
| date Feb 3, 1913
| location South Deerfield, Massachusetts
| width 2.25"
| height 6.25"
| process/materials printed paper, ink
| item type Periodicals/Newspaper
| accession # #L02.079
Send an e-Postcard of this object