(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Log Drive of 36,000,000 Feet.
The annual drive of logs from the wild Ammonoosuc river in New Hampshire,
which has been cut the last season by the International Paper company, has
been boomed at the mouth of that river during the last two weeks, until all
of the ten million feet have reached there. Within a few days it has been let
out into the Connecticut, and will begin arriving at Bellows Falls a short
time ahead of the larger drive of the Connecticut River Lumber company.
The annual drive of the latter this year amounts to 36,000,000 feet and has
been cut as follows: Four and one-half millions on Perry's stream in the township
of Pittsburg, N.H., the northernmost town of the state; two million on what
is known as the Colebrook Academy Grant in Colebrook, N. H.; twenty million
on Paul's stream and its tributaries in the towns of Granby and Ferdinand and
about eight and one-half million feet from along the east branch of the Nulhegan
river in the town of Bloomfield. These different lots are being assembled in
the Connecticut near North Stratford, N. H., and with a few million feet bought
by Mr. Van Dyke at various points south of there will be brought down the river
to their Holyoke mills in the next year two months.
The average amount of lumber in the annual drives the last 10 years has been
about 40 millions, but last year it was a little less than thirty millions.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The huge log drive of some forty million feet this article describes was assembled near North Stratford, New Hampshire, in the spring of 1909. It capped a decade of intense lumbering all along the upper Connecticut River, at an unsustainable rate of exploitation. That meant that by 1920 the lumber harvest outside Maine was dramatically smaller and would soon nearly disappear. Lumbering in the U.S. had been relatively small-scale before the Civil War, but a number of technological advances increased the ability to harvest and saw wood. The double-bitted axe from around 1850, the crosscut saw from 1870, and steam-powered saws beginning in the 1850s increased a mill's output from the 1,000 board feet per day in 1800 to more than 50,000 board feet per day in 1880. Corporate changes also increased logging efficiency, particularly the consolidation of large lumber companies that began in the 1830s and dominated the industry by the 1880s.
top of page
"Log Drive of 36,000,000 Feet"
| publisher Greenfield Gazette and Courier
| date May 29, 1909
| location Greenfield, Massachusetts
| height 4.25"
| width 2.25"
| process/materials printed paper, ink
| item type Periodicals/Newspaper
| accession # #L02.090
Send an e-Postcard of this object